Jim Lantz Memorial Scholarship
The Sidney-Shelby County YMCA, in collaboration with generous benefactors, established the Jim Lantz Memorial Scholarship in 2011 in memory of Jim Lantz.
Jim was a sophomore at Sidney High School. Tragically, he died in an automobile accident in November of 1986. He would have graduated in June 1989.
Jim had planned to go to medical school, and his dream was to become a doctor. He played football and basketball and he was a 4.0 student. He was also a member of the Boy Scouts and enjoyed opportunities to help others through community service.
The scholarship is a one year nonrenewable $1000 scholarship established in his memory, and will be available at all area high schools and the local YMCA. Applicants must be a college bound high school senior and a Shelby County resident. The minimum GPA for qualification is 2.5, and after qualification GPA is not a factor.
YMCA members will receive additional consideration in determination of the winner, but YMCA membership is not a requirement. Applicants must demonstrate commitment to community service as a volunteer, with additional credit for volunteer services at the YMCA. Need will also be a factor considered in evaluation of applicants. Applicants must also demonstrate leadership qualities and exemplify Christian values.
Scholarship applications were mailed to area high schools in January and are also available online and at the YMCA Welcome Center.
- Shelby County resident
- College Bound High School Senior
- Minimum GPA 2.5 for Qualification, after qualification GPA is not a factor
- YMCA members will receive additional consideration in determination of winner, but YMCA membership is not a requirement
- Need will be a factor
- Demonstrate commitment to community service as a volunteer, with additional credit for volunteer services at the YMCA
- Athletic / Fitness activity involvement
- Demonstrate leadership qualities
- Exemplify Christian values
2017 Lantz Memorial Scholarship Application: | Word | PDF |
RETURN COMPLETED APPLICATION AND ATTACHMENTS NO LATER THAN APRIL 7, 2017 TO:
Sidney-Shelby County YMCA
300 E. Parkwood Street
Sidney, OH 45365